Perceptus Solutions Inc. | blog | Bingo Card Generator | Papaya Polls - Simple Surveys | Naque for Unique Names | Ivy DSL - internet for retailers | other

The Perceptus Forums
April 16, 2024, 11:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Perceptus Forums!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese unicode - some characters will not display  (Read 16202 times)
japanesebingo

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »

I just found the site today and made some bingo cards with Japanese. some cards worked fine, even for complex characters (kanji). I am using the unicode option which should allow the display of kanji. However, one set of cards will not display several letters. On the generated bingo cards, those characters become small boxes (I guess that means the program could not find or display these characters).

Here are the characters I tried using that produced some cards with the small boxes. It seems that several of these characters are giving the program some problems.

目 社 空 立 耳 聞 花 行 西 見 言 話 語 読 買 足 車 週 道 金 長 間 雨 電 食 飲 駅 高 魚

Any ideas about why these characters will not all display on the bingo cards?

Thank you for making this great program! Any help would be great. I'd like to use bingo cards as an educational tool for my family learning Japanese. If it works well, I'd like to spread the word to other learners too.
leonard
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed problem report.  You are correct, those characters must be missing from the font we use on print-bingo.com for Unicode.  Good Unicode fonts are surprisingly hard to find, at least they were two years ago when we first added that feature. 

Hopefully I can find a newer font that can be licensed that has better Japanese character support.

LC
japanesebingo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:45:09 AM »

Thanks. That would be great if you can update the Unicode. I'd love to use this for more Japanese study for myself, my family and for our friends who are learning Japanese.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by Perceptus Solutions Inc. Powered by SMF 1.1.14 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC